Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I WOKE UP WITH A VIRUS THIS MORNING

Yeah, I woke up with a virus this morning.  The virus told me I had viruses (lol – yeah – a computer virus) and it had ‘scanned’ and I needed to buy BestAntivirus2011.  I clicked ‘cancel’ and a [.exe] file was downloaded.  Not good.  I clicked the ‘X’ to close the box – another copy of the [.exe] file was downloaded.  Mmmmm…. I clicked on the ‘X’ to close the internet window and you guessed it - yet another copy of the [.exe] file was downloaded.  I opened Windows 7 version of Explore (which I hate but that’s for another day) and erased the three files.  Then I used CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the task manager and close the internet.  Entered the info to do a restore but only had three choices – all the rest were gone.  Picked the oldest – didn’t work.  Repeated above scenario twice (go online, get stupid alert and [.exe] files etc.  Rebooted…. By now I’m late for work…. Ran Malwarebytes update and scan….. found a couple of Trojans.  Ran FULL MCAFEE SCAN – took 2:45 – found nothing.  Went online……. Repeat performance.

Called McAfee….. I have FOUR licenses but they are older than 30 days.  So I get switched to the ‘BUY SUPPORT’ line.  I get a tech that speaks perfect Hindu.  So solly for the inconvenience.   By now my head is spinning. 

I ask him – why do I have to spend $89.95 for you to remove a virus that I got because the virus protection I bought from YOU didn’t protect me?  He says… there are new viruses coming out 24/7 and their people are making fixes 24/7 and then I get the fixes when I update.  So I say ‘Seems to me IF they had a fix for this one if would be in my update, correct?’  And he agrees.  So then I say ‘So what do I get for my $89.95 since there is obviously no fix or I would have gotten it on my update.’  He says…. ‘you will get the fix.’ 

Now I ask YOU, my friends…. What am I missing here?  By now, Habib and I are both hollerin’ and he’s saying he will send me a freebie program via email to run on my computer.  This from a man who said my PROBLEM came from downloading (albeit unknowingly) a fake virus program from an email – which I am totally positive I DID NOT DO! 

Twenty minutes into the new scan, I lose my internet – cuts off – back on – back off – back on.  I text my ISP techie (how’s THAT for service – happens when you live in the kuntry) to tell him I’m blinking again.  He replies…. He’s in the DFW airport and will come out when he gets home.  I replied ‘thanks’ – did NOT tell him that there’s a motherload of storms between DFW and RDU – assumed he has enough to think about.

Oh - and they are sending me a Customer Service questionnaire via email.  Huge mistake!  Huge!

Did I mention that I Hate Computers!!!!  

1 comment:

  1. LMAO - sorry. We don't call them Hindu - we call them "Peggy." After the credit card commercial. This is so funny....well, its not. Its your writing. See - get Malwarebytes.

    Semper Gumby

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on my posts. Know that if you are profane or threatening, your comments will be removed and you will be blocked. Otherwise, welcome to my blog!